About the Board
Subject to the Minister, the Veterinary Surgeons’ Board is responsible for administering the Veterinary Surgeons Act 1960 as amended.
More specifically it:
- registers persons holding approved qualifications as veterinary surgeons or veterinary specialists;
- registers the practice of veterinary surgery by a body corporate;
- registers premises for use as a veterinary hospital or clinic;
- approves qualified persons to carry out the duties of veterinary nurses and authorises persons enrolled in approved courses to perform the duties of trainee veterinary nurses;
- authorises laypersons to perform prescribed veterinary services;
- ensures the maintenance of appropriate professional standards by registered veterinary surgeons, veterinary nurses, trainee veterinary nurses, veterinary students and authorised persons;
- investigates allegations of unprofessional conduct against veterinary surgeons, veterinary nurses, laypersons performing acts of veterinary surgery without being appropriately authorised;
- where appropriate refers cases to the State Administrative Tribunal (SAT) or court for the prosecution of persons who have allegedly breached the Act; and
- recommends the level of prescribed fees pertaining to the administration of the Act.
Attached below is the Strategic Plan for the Veterinary Surgeons’ Board of Western Australia.
Members of the Board
Chair – Dr Peter Punch – AVA Nominee
Vice Chair – Ms Catherine Carroll – Ministerial Appointment
Dr Michael Paton – Dept. of Agriculture and Food
Dr Graham Harradine – Elected Member
Dr Anthony Leeflang – Elected Member
Board meeting dates
Board meeting dates and agenda closing dates for 2018 are as follows. Agendas close on Tuesday of the week before the meetings. Items will NOT be accepted after the closing date for the agenda. Dates are subject to change – please contact the Board office to confirm.
|Board meeting dates||Agenda closing dates|
|10 July 2018||3 July 2018|
|14 August 2018||7 August 2018|
|11 September 2018||4 September 2018|
|9 October 2018||2 October 2018|
|13 November 2018||6 November 2018|
|11 December 2018||4 December 2018|
|15 January 2019||8 January 2019|
|12 February 2019||5 February 2019|
|12 March 2019||5 March 2019|
|9 April 2019||2 April 2019|
|14 May 2019||7 May 2019|